Starting June, 2013, the Huntington Beach Union High School district will award the State Seal of Biliteracy to students who can demonstrate high level of proficiency in English and at least one other language. Assembly Bill 815 (Brownley) establishes the State Seal of Biliteracy to recognize students who are fluent in speaking, reading, an writing in English and another language. The State Seal will be affixed to the diploma of the pupils who earn the State Seal of Biliteracy. In addition, students will be recognized at graduation and senior awards ceremonies.
The following are the acceptable means for demonstrating proficiency in English and another language:
Proficiency in English
- Completion of all English language arts requirements for graduation with an overall grade point average of 2.0 or above in those courses.
- Scoring at the Proficient level(380) or above on the ELA California High School Exit Exam administered in grade 10.
*If the student is an English Language Learner, he/she shall also attain the Early Advanced (4) proficiency level on the California English Language Development Test (CELDT).
Proficiency in a Language Other Than English:
- Successful completion of a 4-year high school course of study in a world language offered by HBUHSD with a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average in that course of study.
- Passing score on an advanced language assessment such as:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Test (3 or better)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) exam (4 or better)
- SAT II foreign language examination with a score of 600 or higher.
Students who are NOT enrolled in a 4 year course of study in World Language must see Mrs. Prado for a Seal of Biliteracy Application.
Alternate assessment (Vietnamese only) Test will be administered on 3/21/11 at the District Office located at 5832 Bolsa Avenue, HB, 92649. Testing will begin at 3:00pm and end at 5:00pm. Please contact Mrs. Prado if you will be taking the alternate assessment (Vietnamese only).
Students will be recognized at graduation, senior awards, and a State Seal will be attached to their transcripts.
*Any student who is enrolled in a 4 year course of study in World Language will not complete an application.